Vajrasattva practice books/articles

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Vajrasattva practice books/articles

Post by Johnny Dangerous » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:41 pm

Recommend some good ones. I know the basic stuff, just would like pointing to some good commentaries or similar.
"...if you think about how many hours, months and years of your life you've spent looking at things, being fascinated by things that have now passed away, then how wonderful to spend even five minutes looking into the nature of your own mind."

-James Low

heart

Re: Vajrasattva practice books/articles

Post by heart » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:45 pm

Here is good stuff: http://www.prayer4peace.net/practice.html

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)

Silent Bob

Post by Silent Bob » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:01 pm

:twothumbsup:
"All the sublime teachings, so profound--to throw away one and then grab yet another will not bear even a single fruit. Persevere, therefore, in simply one."
--Dudjom Rinpoche, "Nectar for the Hearts of Fortunate Disciples. Song No. 8"

ngodrup

Post by ngodrup » Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:44 pm

"Dzogchen Meditation" by Khamtrul Rinpoche / Gareth Sparham
is a commentary of the Mindrolling Vajrasattva.

smcj

Post by smcj » Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:22 pm

Lama Yeshe of FPMT fame has a book out on Heruka Vajrasattva practice. There are two different editions with two different titles, but its the same book. On title is "Becoming Vajrasattva" and the other is "The Tantric Path of Purification". Both are from Widom Publications and edited by Nicholas Ribush.

LTWA also has a booklet out called "The Confession of Downfalls" with the subtitle "The Confession Sutra and Vajrasattva Practice".

I'm not recommending either per se, but they're nice reference books to have on your shelf if you're interested in the subject. The Confession Sutra is a nice Mahayana take on purification. There is a longish excerpt from a commentary by Nagarjuna on it, as well as a commentary by Geshe Ngawang Dhargyey. There's less chance for confusion than with tantric practice if you're interested in purification. The part on Vajrasattva practice itself is pretty straightforward.

The Lama Yeshe book is a full book. It's a couple of hundred pages and includes retreat advice. It has a Gelug flavor to it, and Gelugpas pride themselves on being strict. At one point he says if you fart while doing practice you've got to go back to the beginning of your mala, so you lose a few mantras if you're counting them.
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)

ClearblueSky

Post by ClearblueSky » Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:47 pm

If you haven't read Words Of My Perfect Teacher, it has a nice explanation of Vajrasattva as well as a lot of other great content.

KonchokZoepa

Post by KonchokZoepa » Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:51 pm

also probably the cascading waterfall of nectar has too, its about ngondro. should have useful stuff about vajrasattva. i have it but havent read it yet.
If the thought of demons
Never rises in your mind,
You need not fear the demon hosts around you.
It is most important to tame your mind within....

In so far as the Ultimate, or the true nature of being is concerned,
there are neither buddhas or demons.
He who frees himself from fear and hope, evil and virtue,
will realize the insubstantial and groundless nature of confusion.
Samsara will then appear as the mahamudra itself….

-Milarepa

OMMANIPADMEHUNG

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ls6P9tOYmdo

Knotty Veneer

Post by Knotty Veneer » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:10 pm

Also have a look at The Torch of Certainty by Jamgon Kongtrul (trans Judith Hanson). CH. 3 explains the Vajrasattva practice that's done in the Mahamudra Ngondro in the Karma Kagyu.
Don't let the President be worse than the problem.

Palzang Jangchub

Post by Palzang Jangchub » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:00 pm

All of the above are excellent resources. In particular, I'd like to second Knotty's suggestion of The Torch of Certainty and Clearblue's suggestion of Words of My Perfect Teacher. Both are tried and true, and it doesn't get any better when it comes to Ka-Nying commentary.

:twothumbsup:

The Rimepa in me thinks you should look into the Vajrasattva section of the Short Dudjom Tersar Ngondro. It's an explicitly beautiful practice, not to mention very concise.

The Berzin Archives also have a good bit to say on the method of Vajrasattva, and are especially useful for the practicing Gelukpa: http://www.berzinarchives.com/web/en/ar ... asics.html

Vajrasattva is sometimes said to be---like Vajradhara---the head of a sixth Buddha family that encompasses all the other five. His hundred syllable mantra is likewise sometimes said to be composed of the seed syllables of the Hundred Peaceful & Wrathful Deities, hence its power to purify. Vajrasattva, as an aspect of Samantabhadra, is the principal deity of the Guhyagarbha Tantra, from which the practice of the Hundred Peaceful & Wrathful Deities ("Shyitro") is extracted.

More on the mantra itself: http://www.visiblemantra.org/vajrasattva.html & http://www.rigpawiki.org/index.php?titl ... ble_mantra

In the end, it depends on which lineage you practice. Ask your guru which resources he or she suggests. Probably not any harm in being informed about the various approaches, but I'd use what your guru tells you to as the main instructions for the outer, inner, secret, and suchness meanings of Vajrasattva and his mantra.

"The Sutras, Tantras, and Philosophical Scriptures are great in number. However life is short, and intelligence is limited, so it's hard to cover them completely. You may know a lot, but if you don't put it into practice, it's like dying of thirst on the shore of a great lake. Likewise, a common corpse is found in the bed of a great scholar." ~ Karma Chagme

དྲིན་ཆེན་རྩ་བའི་བླ་མ་སྐྱབས་རྗེ་མགར་ཆེན་ཁྲི་སྤྲུལ་རིན་པོ་ཆེ་ཁྱེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ།།
རྗེ་བཙུན་བླ་མ་མཁས་གྲུབ་ཀརྨ་ཆགས་མེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ། ཀརྨ་པ་མཁྱེན་ནོཿ

Palzang Jangchub

Post by Palzang Jangchub » Mon May 19, 2014 9:29 pm

JD, I know you specifically asked for books and articles, but Tsurphu Labrang just posted this video of HH Gyalwang Karmapa teaching about Vajrasattva in the context of Ngöndro a few days ago:

phpBB [video]

"The Sutras, Tantras, and Philosophical Scriptures are great in number. However life is short, and intelligence is limited, so it's hard to cover them completely. You may know a lot, but if you don't put it into practice, it's like dying of thirst on the shore of a great lake. Likewise, a common corpse is found in the bed of a great scholar." ~ Karma Chagme

དྲིན་ཆེན་རྩ་བའི་བླ་མ་སྐྱབས་རྗེ་མགར་ཆེན་ཁྲི་སྤྲུལ་རིན་པོ་ཆེ་ཁྱེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ།།
རྗེ་བཙུན་བླ་མ་མཁས་གྲུབ་ཀརྨ་ཆགས་མེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ། ཀརྨ་པ་མཁྱེན་ནོཿ

Tsultrim T.

Post by Tsultrim T. » Tue May 20, 2014 2:14 pm

KonchokZoepa wrote:also probably the cascading waterfall of nectar has too, its about ngondro. should have useful stuff about vajrasattva. i have it but havent read it yet.
This is an insanely dense and pithy text that took me a long time to read properly in order to be able to digest the layers upon layers of teachings. I continue to go back to it and always find new teachings that I had missed before.

As for Vajrasattva, here is a link to a nice commentary to the extensive practice from the Dudjom Tersar tradition: http://vimalatreasures.org/the-collecti ... -1978.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Adamantine
Former staff member

Post by Adamantine » Tue May 20, 2014 2:51 pm

I bet this is excellent, as I've personally experienced
only the most excellent teachings from this great master:

http://heartteachings.com
Current Release:

Series 25: Vajrasattva, Dorsem Lama Chӧpa, “A Chariot of Great Merit”
In general Vajrasattva is considered the lord of all the Buddha Families with the specific activity of purification. To think of Vajrasattva even for a moment is said to remove the defilements that are the cause of rebirth in samsara.
This Vajrasattva practice was originally called Minling Dorsem because it is the first Mindroling treasure revealer Terdak Lingpa’s treasure. HH Dudjom Rinpoche compiled this Dorsem Lama Chopa, a special offering guru yoga, based on this treasure. The 64-volume Rinchen Terdzö compiled by Jamgön Kongtrul and Jamyang Khyentse, begins with this Vajrasattva practice and it is considered the most important. Entitled “A Chariot of Great Merit,” the practice includes a self-empowerment (dak juk), which purifies all broken samaya. The ritual aspect of this sadhana is elaborate – a rich cycle of deity visualization, mantra, mudra, music and samadhi with the power to awaken our clarity of awareness, our original Buddha nature.

Lama Tharchin Rinpoche teaches on the Daily Practice of Vajrasattva and the sadhana of Dorsem Lama Chӧpa. Special instruction will also include the Dak-juk (self-empowerment), Shakpa (confession) and Kangwa (fulfillment).
There will be future teachings on aspects of this practice, such as mudra, tormas, shrine set-up, and how to structure a retreat.

From Lama Tharchin Rinpoche:
“This year we are focusing on Vajrasattva (Dorsem Lama Chӧpa) practice. This is the most special practice right now. This year all of us are truly sad as we have lost our Lord of Refuge’s physical form. Dungse Thinley Norbu Rinoche’s physical body is no longer present and all of us are truly empty-hearted. But at the same time dharma is the only way to not separate from Rinpoche’s wisdom mind and the only way to refill our empty hearts with wisdom.

Through his vajra speech Rinpoche cared enough to tell us how to fill our hearts with his vajra essence. His final vajra words were for us to do Dorsem Lama Chӧpa practice. We need to take this seriously. Dungse Thinley Norbu Rinpoche was truly Vajrasattva in human form. Therefore, doing this practice is how we can connect with him and keep Rinpoche’s wisdom mind within our hearts.

Buddha’s dharmakaya wisdom mind is expressed unobstructedly in inconceivable, countless wisdom mandalas. All of these mandalas can be synthesized in the Hundred Buddha Family mandalas, which can then be synthesized in the Five Buddha Family mandalas. The great secret mantra Vajrayana path of extraordinary inseparable skillful means and wisdom combines all mandalas into this one essential mandala of Vajrasattva.
I do have the good fortune to follow Rinpoche’s instructions and am so happy that we can all get a taste of Rinpoche’s wisdom mind together. That is why I am excited to do this practice with all of you.”

Text available through Dharma Treasures Bookstore: store@vajrayana.org
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Tue May 20, 2014 3:43 pm

Johnny Dangerous wrote:Recommend some good ones. I know the basic stuff, just would like pointing to some good commentaries or similar.
At some point my translation of the Sakya ngondro text will be out, this has a comprehensive section on Vajrasattva practice,

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”