Dark Room Meditation Retreat

anandha

Dark Room Meditation Retreat

Post by anandha » Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:48 pm

Hi,
I live in Chennai,India. I would like to attend dark room retreat for duration of 3 months to 1 year. I searched a lot in internet but found nothing, I got little information about Tibetan monasteries in Bylakuppe,Karnataka,India but I am unable to find any dark room retreats for such duration. Please help me if any retreat are available with the specified duration.

smcj

Re: Dark Room Meditation Retreat

Post by smcj » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:15 pm

There are white retreats, yellow retreats, and black retreats. White retreats are normal. Yellow retreats are normal except that the meditation sessions are done in darkness. Black retreats are done in total darkness 24/7. That's hard to pull off with bathroom visits, meals and such. Maybe a yellow retreat is in order to start where you just cover your windows and turn out your lights during the meditation sessions. That's a lot easier to arrange. Plus you don't have to worry about trying to find your toothbrush in total blackness!
I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against Lama abuse.

anandha

Post by anandha » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:30 pm

Thank you smcj for the reply..... :) Where i can find yellow or black retreats in india ?

smcj

Post by smcj » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:50 pm

anandha wrote:Thank you smcj for the reply..... :) Where i can find yellow or black retreats in india ?
I have no idea what is available in India, but any individual retreat can become a "yellow retreat" by simply covering your windows and turning out the lights. I can't see a truly black retreat scenario happening very easily. That would take a bit of work on someone's part on your behalf. They'd have to provide for all your needs including food, laundry, bathroom needs, etc. Plus I personally don't see the advantage of stumbling around in the dark when you're not doing your meditation session, but that's just me.
I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against Lama abuse.

ngodrup

Post by ngodrup » Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:55 am

I would ask the Lama who taught you how to do the dark retreat pracice.
He or she probably has such a facility, if they are teaching it to qualified disciples.
I would bet there's a space at Namdrolling.

anandha

Post by anandha » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:45 am

Thank you smcj , Thank you ngodrup for the reply...

ngodrup wrote:I would ask the Lama who taught you how to do the dark retreat pracice.
He or she probably has such a facility, if they are teaching it to qualified disciples.

theanarchist

Post by theanarchist » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:09 am

ngodrup wrote:I would ask the Lama who taught you how to do the dark retreat pracice.

Definitely that. And I would advise you absolutely NOT to try something like that without the explicit permission and advice of your root guru. Because if you do things like that incorrectly you might end up not with realisations but with mental illness.

That you ask this question on an internet board to the open public and not your teacher gives me a bad feeling about this.

Ivo

Post by Ivo » Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:22 pm

anandha, if you find a lama who is willing to give you the instructions and permission to do a proper dark retreat you may find that '3 days to 1 week' may turn out to be more than you can handle as a beginner. And I take the liberty of assuming you are a beginner because if you are doing it on the advice of a lama you would have been told for sure where you can do the retreat.

A 3 month dark retreat is something extremely serious, if done properly, and a year of dark retreat can easily turn into a life-long retreat and is for people who have the wish and the capacity to turn away from the 'normal' world perception once and for all. These kind of retreats are nothing like the usual meditation practices most people are familiar with. Heed the good advice that the other practitioners have given you above - find a lama and discuss this in person. There is a reason information on dark retreats is not on the internet, and these things are not so common at all. Such practices are only for the most dedicated and capable of practitioners. You may actually have this capacity, in which case a good lama will point you in the right direction, but even then in all probability such an endeavor would require a lot of preparation, both mental and logistical. Years may pass before you can enter a really long dark retreat.

oldbob

Post by oldbob » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:21 am

:namaste:

:twothumbsup: :good: :twothumbsup:

Good posts all.

My 2 cents.

http://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.ph ... on#p110638
http://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.ph ... on#p120328
http://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.ph ... on#p167751

I recently heard that Ven. Gochen Tulku Sang-ngag Rinpoche is giving the Dark Retreat teachings in a three year cycle, the second of which will be given this May, in Santa Fe NM.

This is listed on his webiste:

http://www.ewam.org/schedule/retreats

Contact information is given on this page.

Not easy to find, and then to practice, these most precious and rare teachings leading to enlightenment in one lifetime.

Most important is to ask your root Guru's advice as to what is proper for you.

Perseverance furthers!

:heart:

Return to “Dzogchen”