Hypnotherapy to enhance meditation/mindfulness

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
boda

Hypnotherapy to enhance meditation/mindfulness

Post by boda » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:05 am

I recently read a book called Cure: A Journey Into The Science Of Mind Over Body by Jo Marchant. http://www.npr.org/books/titles/4643797 ... -over-body I wasn't looking for a cure, it was just something I noticed on the bookshelf at home. It's a fascinating book, which I would characterize as a study of how the subconscious mind can be consciously manipulated. Apparently the subconscious mind has more of a direct connection to the body, or rather the ability to control a range of autonomic functions, so by influencing the subconscious we can indirectly effect autonomic bodily functions.

The book explores a range of practices from placebos to faith healing, in a very scientific manner. While reading the part of the book about hypnotherapy I thought to myself "there's probably an app for that," and sure enough a quick search on my phone provided a list of them. I chose a free app by the English hypnotherapist Joseph Clough, available on the app store (IOS) and google play (Android). It's basically just audio recordings that you can playback. I've been trying one of the free ones called: Deep Relaxation (about 15 minutes long), prior to morning meditation. I have to say its had a powerful effect. Actually more calm and peaceful throughout the day and consequently medication/mindfulness is easier. Also feel more empathetic and connected to people around me.

I'm curious if others have tried this, and if not maybe you'll try downloading the app and seeing how it works for you, and perhaps reporting back.

I wouldn't say that I go into a trance while listening to the recordings. I just try to quiet the conscious mind and be receptive to the suggestions.

DGA
Former staff member

Re: Hypnotherapy to enhance meditation/mindfulness

Post by DGA » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:01 pm

This is an interesting topic.

Here is the story of my one contact with hypnosis. This was in... 2006-07.

I was working part-time at Washington State University in Pullman, WA, USA while working full time at the University of Idaho up the road in Moscow, ID. I noticed a flyer in the hallway recruiting volunteers for an experiment in hypnosis. I don't recall what the particular language was or what the purpose of the study was, but I do remember thinking it was interesting enough to commit to an hour's meeting with the researcher to participate.

I volunteered and after a phone consultation was accepted into the study.

Not long after, I found myself with the researcher, who put me through the hypnosis process. I was asked to recall a moment in my life when I was nine years old, which I was able to do with clarity and in detail. I was lucid and I felt good through the hour. Afterward, the researcher told me that some people are basically unhypnotizable, and I am one. How did he know? Because I didn't turn into a child when asked to return to my childhood, more or less. "Adult language, emotional detachment, flat affect..." Meanwhile, there are others (maybe one in four) who are very, very suggestible under hypnosis and completely give themselves over to it.

:shrug:

I'd be curious if there is any further research on this.

boda

Post by boda » Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:53 pm

There seems to be a good amount of research on hypnotic suggestibility but firm conclusions appear to be elusive. Some theories break suggestibility into categories, such as literal and inferred. Apparently I'm more prone to inferred suggestion, because of a tendency to 'read between the lines' or whatever, and not put as much credence into what people literally say.

Interestingly, the most hypnotizable people are those with dissociative identity disorder (split personalities) and post traumatic stress disorder.

Grigoris
Global Moderator

Post by Grigoris » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:01 pm

phpBB [video]
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

boda

Post by boda » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:35 pm

Actually in Cure, the book mentioned in the OP, it talks about nocebo, the polar opposite of placebo, a detrimental effect on health produced by psychological or psychosomatic factors such as negative expectations of treatment or prognosis.

A negative effect on health produced by psychological or psychosomatic factors. Kinda gives credence to the notion of a toxic personality.

Return to “Lounge”