“Proto–Tantric” Elements in The Gandavyuha sutra

Discuss and learn about the traditional Mahayana scriptures, without assuming that any one school ‘owns’ the only correct interpretation.
Javierfv1212

“Proto–Tantric” Elements in The Gandavyuha sutra

Post by Javierfv1212 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:33 pm

I just read this paper and I thought I'd share in case someone thought it was interesting.
“Proto–Tantric” Elements in The Gandavyuha sutra by Douglas Osto
Although a Ma¯ha¯yana su¯tra, the Gandavyuha ¯ clearly contains a number of elements that seem to presage the “tantric” phase in Indian Buddhism. In particular, the su¯tra contains four components worthy of note: elaborate scenes detailing what can best be understood as mandala s, a soteriology based on absolute faith in the spiritual guides, a strong insinuation of organisational esotericism, and the hint of sexual yoga.
After briefly summarising some recent scholarship on the Gandavyuha ¯ , the author
addresses each of the four “proto-tantric” components in detail. Following this, the
author concludes with the suggestion that despite the inherent difficulties in developing
a relative chronology of Indian Buddhist literature, close readings such as
provided in this article may be useful in generating data sets, which can then be used
to relate Indian Buddhist texts to each other.
http://enlight.lib.ntu.edu.tw/FULLTEXT/ ... ion_detail

Just more evidence that Buddhist Tantra is not just borrowed from Hinduism or totally made up, but that there is a continuity with earlier Buddhist texts.
It is quite impossible to find the Buddha anywhere other than in one's own mind.
~Padmasambhava

Amid those who are self-constrained, the Stable One would not posit as categorically true or false
anything seen, heard, or sensed, clung to and considered truth by others.
Since they have already seen this dart to which people cling and adhere,
saying “I know, I see, it is just so,”
the Tathāgatas cling to nothing.
-Kalaka sutta

Adamantine
Former staff member

Re: “Proto–Tantric” Elements in The Gandavyuha sutra

Post by Adamantine » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:22 pm

:thanks: interesting read!
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha

tingdzin

Re: “Proto–Tantric” Elements in The Gandavyuha sutra

Post by tingdzin » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:42 am

The connection between the Gandavyuha and Esoteric Buddhism has always been obvious, it seems to me, and I wonder that more scholars have not taken up the topic.

Return to “Sūtra Studies”