I've been so wrong/pure lands

User avatar
Malcolm
Posts: 27522
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am

Re: I've been so wrong/pure lands

Post by Malcolm » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:25 pm

Queequeg wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:24 pm
CedarTree wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:04 pm
I like this a lot :)

Themes of family, love, and the simple stuff - Gets at it way better.
Can't take credit, except for the flourish:
I am the father of living beings and I should rescue them from their sufferings and give them the joy of the measureless and boundless buddha wisdom so that they may find their enjoyment in that.
Lotus Sutra, Chapter 3
I am the father of this world,
saving those who suffer and are afflicted.
Lotus Sutra, Chapter 16
Unless, of course, they are paṇḍakas, in which case they apparently should be shunned.
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔


[A]nything at all that is well spoken is the word of the Buddha.

-- Ārya-adhyāśaya-sañcodana-nāma-mahāyāna-sūtra

The different sūtras in accord with the emptiness
taught by the Sugata are definitive in meaning;
One can understand that all of those Dharmas in
which a sentient being, individual, or person are taught are provisional in meaning.

-- Samadhirāja Sūtra

User avatar
CedarTree
Posts: 556
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:13 pm

Re: I've been so wrong/pure lands

Post by CedarTree » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:26 pm

And there it is, the elephant in the room Lol
Malcolm wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:25 pm
Queequeg wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:24 pm
CedarTree wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:04 pm
I like this a lot :)

Themes of family, love, and the simple stuff - Gets at it way better.
Can't take credit, except for the flourish:
I am the father of living beings and I should rescue them from their sufferings and give them the joy of the measureless and boundless buddha wisdom so that they may find their enjoyment in that.
Lotus Sutra, Chapter 3
I am the father of this world,
saving those who suffer and are afflicted.
Lotus Sutra, Chapter 16
Unless, of course, they are paṇḍakas, in which case they apparently should be shunned.

Practice, Practice, Practice

pael
Posts: 502
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:49 pm

Re: I've been so wrong/pure lands

Post by pael » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:30 pm

Malcolm wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:25 pm
Queequeg wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:24 pm
CedarTree wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:04 pm
I like this a lot :)

Themes of family, love, and the simple stuff - Gets at it way better.
Can't take credit, except for the flourish:
I am the father of living beings and I should rescue them from their sufferings and give them the joy of the measureless and boundless buddha wisdom so that they may find their enjoyment in that.
Lotus Sutra, Chapter 3
I am the father of this world,
saving those who suffer and are afflicted.
Lotus Sutra, Chapter 16
Unless, of course, they are paṇḍakas, in which case they apparently should be shunned.
Can one born as man become paṇḍaka in same lifetime?
May all beings be free from suffering and causes of suffering

User avatar
Coëmgenu
Posts: 1549
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:35 pm
Location: Whitby, Ontario

Re: I've been so wrong/pure lands

Post by Coëmgenu » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:30 pm

pael wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:30 pm
Malcolm wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:25 pm
Queequeg wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:24 pm


Can't take credit, except for the flourish:


Lotus Sutra, Chapter 3


Lotus Sutra, Chapter 16
Unless, of course, they are paṇḍakas, in which case they apparently should be shunned.
Can one born as man become paṇḍaka in same lifetime?
Only on a half-moon. :tongue:
世尊在靈山會上拈華示眾眾皆默然唯迦葉破顏微笑世尊云
The Lord dwelt at the Vulture Peak with the assembly and plucked a flower as a teaching. The myriad totality were silent, save for Kāśyapa, whose face cracked in a faint smile. The Lord spoke.

吾有正法眼藏涅槃妙心實相無相微妙法門不立文字教外別傳付囑摩訶迦葉。
I have the treasure of the true dharma eye, I have nirvāṇa as wondrous citta, I know signless dharmatā, the subtle dharma-gate, which is not standing on written word, which is external to scriptures, which is a special dispensation, which is entrusted to Mahākāśyapa.

pael
Posts: 502
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:49 pm

Re: I've been so wrong/pure lands

Post by pael » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:31 pm

Malcolm wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:25 pm
Queequeg wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:24 pm
CedarTree wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:04 pm
I like this a lot :)

Themes of family, love, and the simple stuff - Gets at it way better.
Can't take credit, except for the flourish:
I am the father of living beings and I should rescue them from their sufferings and give them the joy of the measureless and boundless buddha wisdom so that they may find their enjoyment in that.
Lotus Sutra, Chapter 3
I am the father of this world,
saving those who suffer and are afflicted.
Lotus Sutra, Chapter 16
Unless, of course, they are paṇḍakas, in which case they apparently should be shunned.
Can one born as man become paṇḍaka in same life?
May all beings be free from suffering and causes of suffering

User avatar
Malcolm
Posts: 27522
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am

Re: I've been so wrong/pure lands

Post by Malcolm » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:31 pm

pael wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:30 pm
Malcolm wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:25 pm
Queequeg wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:24 pm


Can't take credit, except for the flourish:


Lotus Sutra, Chapter 3


Lotus Sutra, Chapter 16
Unless, of course, they are paṇḍakas, in which case they apparently should be shunned.
Can one born as man become paṇḍaka in same lifetime?
Sure, if you have your sexual organs removed, come out of the closet, become impotent or sterile, etc.
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔


[A]nything at all that is well spoken is the word of the Buddha.

-- Ārya-adhyāśaya-sañcodana-nāma-mahāyāna-sūtra

The different sūtras in accord with the emptiness
taught by the Sugata are definitive in meaning;
One can understand that all of those Dharmas in
which a sentient being, individual, or person are taught are provisional in meaning.

-- Samadhirāja Sūtra

pael
Posts: 502
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:49 pm

Re: I've been so wrong/pure lands

Post by pael » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:33 pm

Malcolm wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:31 pm
pael wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:30 pm
Malcolm wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:25 pm


Unless, of course, they are paṇḍakas, in which case they apparently should be shunned.
Can one born as man become paṇḍaka in same lifetime?
Sure, if you have your sexual organs removed, come out of the closet, become impotent or sterile, etc.
Can they practice Dharma?
May all beings be free from suffering and causes of suffering

User avatar
Minobu
Posts: 2101
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:57 pm

Re: I've been so wrong/pure lands

Post by Minobu » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:34 pm

Malcolm wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:31 pm
pael wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:30 pm
Malcolm wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:25 pm


Unless, of course, they are paṇḍakas, in which case they apparently should be shunned.
Can one born as man become paṇḍaka in same lifetime?
Sure, if you have your sexual organs removed, come out of the closet, become impotent or sterile, etc.
so pandaka is a generic term for any m,ale that is not hetero sexual?
eunuchs born or dismembered are pandakas as well?

i find this repulsive...the teaching is flawed and i would like to know where you gug this stuff up and why are you teaching it?

User avatar
Coëmgenu
Posts: 1549
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:35 pm
Location: Whitby, Ontario

Re: I've been so wrong/pure lands

Post by Coëmgenu » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:39 pm

pael wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:33 pm
Malcolm wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:31 pm
pael wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:30 pm

Can one born as man become paṇḍaka in same lifetime?
Sure, if you have your sexual organs removed, come out of the closet, become impotent or sterile, etc.
Can they practice Dharma?
Only when it's not a half-moon.
世尊在靈山會上拈華示眾眾皆默然唯迦葉破顏微笑世尊云
The Lord dwelt at the Vulture Peak with the assembly and plucked a flower as a teaching. The myriad totality were silent, save for Kāśyapa, whose face cracked in a faint smile. The Lord spoke.

吾有正法眼藏涅槃妙心實相無相微妙法門不立文字教外別傳付囑摩訶迦葉。
I have the treasure of the true dharma eye, I have nirvāṇa as wondrous citta, I know signless dharmatā, the subtle dharma-gate, which is not standing on written word, which is external to scriptures, which is a special dispensation, which is entrusted to Mahākāśyapa.

User avatar
Coëmgenu
Posts: 1549
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:35 pm
Location: Whitby, Ontario

Re: I've been so wrong/pure lands

Post by Coëmgenu » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:42 pm

Pardon me, these references to half-moons are supposed to be waning moons.

More time to study Hinduism while the Buddhists don't want to talk to you!
Last edited by Coëmgenu on Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
世尊在靈山會上拈華示眾眾皆默然唯迦葉破顏微笑世尊云
The Lord dwelt at the Vulture Peak with the assembly and plucked a flower as a teaching. The myriad totality were silent, save for Kāśyapa, whose face cracked in a faint smile. The Lord spoke.

吾有正法眼藏涅槃妙心實相無相微妙法門不立文字教外別傳付囑摩訶迦葉。
I have the treasure of the true dharma eye, I have nirvāṇa as wondrous citta, I know signless dharmatā, the subtle dharma-gate, which is not standing on written word, which is external to scriptures, which is a special dispensation, which is entrusted to Mahākāśyapa.

User avatar
CedarTree
Posts: 556
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:13 pm

Re: I've been so wrong/pure lands

Post by CedarTree » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:42 pm

Coëmgenu wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:39 pm
pael wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:33 pm
Malcolm wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:31 pm


Sure, if you have your sexual organs removed, come out of the closet, become impotent or sterile, etc.
Can they practice Dharma?
Only when it's not a half-moon.
In other words FUBAR.

Maybe one of the reasons to go past the tradition in some ways? :juggling:

Practice, Practice, Practice

User avatar
Queequeg
Global Moderator
Posts: 5457
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:24 pm

Re: I've been so wrong/pure lands

Post by Queequeg » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:43 pm

Malcolm wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:25 pm
Unless, of course, they are paṇḍakas, in which case they apparently should be shunned.
They should not associate with
people of overbearing arrogance
or those who stubbornly adhere to the lesser vehicle
and are learned in its three storehouses.
And you, too... huh. Whaddayaknow?
Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Lotus Sutra, Expedient Means Chapter

Simon E.
Posts: 5316
Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 11:09 am

Re: I've been so wrong/pure lands

Post by Simon E. » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:50 pm

CedarTree wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:42 pm
Coëmgenu wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:39 pm
pael wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:33 pm

Can they practice Dharma?
Only when it's not a half-moon.
In other words FUBAR.

Maybe one of the reasons to go past the tradition in some ways? :juggling:
Or maybe be discriminating about which tradition?
If you use the word 'mind' without defining your terms I will ask you politely for a definition. :smile:
This is not to be awkward. But it's really not self-explanatory.

User avatar
CedarTree
Posts: 556
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:13 pm

Re: I've been so wrong/pure lands

Post by CedarTree » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:52 pm

Maybe there all.... Just limited.

Some less so than others?
Simon E. wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:50 pm
CedarTree wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:42 pm
Coëmgenu wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:39 pm


Only when it's not a half-moon.
In other words FUBAR.

Maybe one of the reasons to go past the tradition in some ways? :juggling:
Or maybe be discriminating about which tradition?

Practice, Practice, Practice

DGA
Former staff member
Posts: 9253
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:04 pm
Contact:

Re: I've been so wrong/pure lands

Post by DGA » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:54 pm

illarraza wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:37 am
DGA wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:44 pm
Hold on.

We're in the Nichiren sub. Therefore, whatever Nichiren may have had to say on the topic of whether or not Buddha Shakyamuni had afflictions should be definitive here.

Do Nichiren's writings comment on this topic? I'm asking out of ignorance. I don't know the answer to this question.
"The Nirvana Sutra says, “At that time the Thus Come One... assumed the appearance of one who is ill in body and lay on his right side like a sick man.” The Lotus Sutra (Chapter 15) states, “[The Thus Come One is well and happy], with few ills and few worries.” Notice, The Sutra doesn't say, "no ills, no worries". The Buddha's affliction is "By what shall he cause the masses of beings To be able to enter the Supreme Way And obtain Buddhahood"?'
I'll revisit Chapter 15 to locate the passage you are quoting there. I don't recall reading that; I wonder if it may have to do with differences in translation into English.

In the bigger picture, I suspect that you and I may be speaking at cross-purposes to each other. When I use the word "affliction," I mean it only in terms of samsaric stuff: hatred (or aversion, or anger), greed/lust (or attraction), and ignorance. I think that Buddha Shakyamuni is free of all these, like any Buddha is, and that this teaching does not contradict the Lotus Sutra or any other sutra. I'm not sure how eating or pooping or any other behavior that a Buddha might manifest as a means to lead others to Buddhahood fits in (if that's what you mean by affliction? I'm not sure.)

The conduct of a Buddha is always and only a means to lead others to Buddhahood. It's spontaneous activity. This is what Buddhas do, as in the parable of the herbs. Sometimes this appears to be wrathful, as in the appearance of Fudo Myoo or Bishimon-ten (I know you are familiar with these because they are represented in the Gohonzon). Fudo Myoo's nature is compassion. He is not afflicted by hatred; he just appears the way he does because that's what it takes to be effective at his job. To the best of my understanding, that's how Buddhas operate. This principle is described in a poetic way in Chapter 25 of the Lotus Sutra.

User avatar
Queequeg
Global Moderator
Posts: 5457
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:24 pm

Re: I've been so wrong/pure lands

Post by Queequeg » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:01 pm

Malcolm wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:25 pm
Unless, of course, they are paṇḍakas, in which case they apparently should be shunned.
On a serious note, the full context of Malcolm's reference is as follows:

In the Peaceful Practices chapter, the Buddha gives instruction on how a mahasatvva-bodhisattva should uphold the teaching. He instructs:

The prose section:
“As for the associations proper for them, bodhisattvas mahasattva should not associate closely with rulers, princes, high ministers, or heads of offices. They should not associate closely with non-Buddhists, Brahmans, or Jains, or with those who compose works of secular literature or books extolling the non-Buddhists, nor should they be closely associated with Lokayatas or Anti-Lokayatas. They should not be closely associated with hazardous amusements, boxing, or wrestling, or with actors or others engaged in various kinds of illusionary entertainments, or with chandalas, persons engaged in raising pigs, sheep, chickens, or dogs, or those who engage in hunting or fishing or other evil activities. If such persons at times come to them, then they may preach the Law for them, but they should expect nothing from it. Again they should not associate with monks, nuns, laymen, or laywomen who seek to become voice-hearers, nor should they question or visit them. They should not stay with them in the same room, or in the place of exercise, or in the lecture hall. If at times they come to them, they may preach the Law in accordance with what is appropriate, but should expect nothing from it.

“Manjushri, the bodhisattva mahasattva should not, when preaching the Law to women, do so in a manner that could arouse thoughts of desire in them, nor should he delight in seeing them. If he enters the house of another person, he should not engage in talk with the young girls, unmarried women, or widows. Nor should he go near the five types of unmanly men or have any close dealings with them. He should not enter another person’s house alone. If for some reason it is imperative to enter alone, he should concentrate his whole mind on thoughts of the Buddha. If he should preach the Law for a woman, he should not bare his teeth in laughter or let his chest become exposed. He should not have any intimate dealings with her even for the sake of the Law, much less for any other purpose.

“He should not delight in nurturing underage disciples, shramaneras, or children, and should not delight in sharing the same teacher with them. He should constantly take pleasure in sitting in meditation, and being in quiet surroundings learn to still his mind. Manjushri, these are what I call the things he should first of all associate himself with.
The verse section:
If there are bodhisattvas
who in the evil age hereafter
wish with fearless hearts
to preach this sutra,
these are the places they should enter
and the people they should closely associate with.
At all times shun rulers
and the princes of kingdoms,
high ministers, heads of offices,
those engaged in hazardous amusements
as well as chandalas,
non-Buddhists, and Brahmans.
They should not associate with
people of overbearing arrogance
or those who stubbornly adhere to the lesser vehicle
and are learned in its three storehouses.
Monks who violate the precepts,
arhats who are so in name only,
nuns who are fond
of jesting and laughter,
or women lay believers
who are profoundly attached to the five desires
or who seek immediate entry into extinction—
all these they should not associate with.
If there are people
who come with good hearts
to the place of the bodhisattva
in order to hear the buddha way,
then the bodhisattva
with a fearless heart
but without harboring expectations
should preach the Law for them.
But widows and unmarried women
and the different kinds of unmanly men—
all these he should not associate with
or treat with intimacy.
Also he must not associate with
slaughterers or flesh-carvers,
those who hunt animals or catch fish,
or kill or do harm for profit.
Those who peddle meat for a living
or display women and sell their favors—
all people such as this
he should never associate with.
Those engaged in hazardous sports, wrestling,
or other kinds of amusements,
women of lascivious nature—
never associate with any of these.
Never go alone into an enclosed place
to preach the Law to a woman.
When he preaches the Law,
let there be no jesting or laughter.
When he enters a village to beg for food,
he should take another monk with him;
if there is no other monk around,
with a single mind he should concentrate on the Buddha.
These are what I call
proper practices and associations.
By being careful about these two,
they can preach in a peaceful manner.
The instruction is for the mahasattva-bodhisattva to avoid pretty much anyone who might distract them from the path. What Malcolm is doing here is called trolling.
Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Lotus Sutra, Expedient Means Chapter

User avatar
CedarTree
Posts: 556
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:13 pm

Re: I've been so wrong/pure lands

Post by CedarTree » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:04 pm

I always wondered what happened to Malcolm in the middle Lol.

Thanks for pointing that out Q :)

Queequeg wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:01 pm
Malcolm wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:25 pm
Unless, of course, they are paṇḍakas, in which case they apparently should be shunned.
On a serious note, the full context of Malcolm's reference is as follows:

In the Peaceful Practices chapter, the Buddha gives instruction on how a mahasatvva-bodhisattva should uphold the teaching. He instructs:

The prose section:
“As for the associations proper for them, bodhisattvas mahasattva should not associate closely with rulers, princes, high ministers, or heads of offices. They should not associate closely with non-Buddhists, Brahmans, or Jains, or with those who compose works of secular literature or books extolling the non-Buddhists, nor should they be closely associated with Lokayatas or Anti-Lokayatas. They should not be closely associated with hazardous amusements, boxing, or wrestling, or with actors or others engaged in various kinds of illusionary entertainments, or with chandalas, persons engaged in raising pigs, sheep, chickens, or dogs, or those who engage in hunting or fishing or other evil activities. If such persons at times come to them, then they may preach the Law for them, but they should expect nothing from it. Again they should not associate with monks, nuns, laymen, or laywomen who seek to become voice-hearers, nor should they question or visit them. They should not stay with them in the same room, or in the place of exercise, or in the lecture hall. If at times they come to them, they may preach the Law in accordance with what is appropriate, but should expect nothing from it.

“Manjushri, the bodhisattva mahasattva should not, when preaching the Law to women, do so in a manner that could arouse thoughts of desire in them, nor should he delight in seeing them. If he enters the house of another person, he should not engage in talk with the young girls, unmarried women, or widows. Nor should he go near the five types of unmanly men or have any close dealings with them. He should not enter another person’s house alone. If for some reason it is imperative to enter alone, he should concentrate his whole mind on thoughts of the Buddha. If he should preach the Law for a woman, he should not bare his teeth in laughter or let his chest become exposed. He should not have any intimate dealings with her even for the sake of the Law, much less for any other purpose.

“He should not delight in nurturing underage disciples, shramaneras, or children, and should not delight in sharing the same teacher with them. He should constantly take pleasure in sitting in meditation, and being in quiet surroundings learn to still his mind. Manjushri, these are what I call the things he should first of all associate himself with.
The verse section:
If there are bodhisattvas
who in the evil age hereafter
wish with fearless hearts
to preach this sutra,
these are the places they should enter
and the people they should closely associate with.
At all times shun rulers
and the princes of kingdoms,
high ministers, heads of offices,
those engaged in hazardous amusements
as well as chandalas,
non-Buddhists, and Brahmans.
They should not associate with
people of overbearing arrogance
or those who stubbornly adhere to the lesser vehicle
and are learned in its three storehouses.
Monks who violate the precepts,
arhats who are so in name only,
nuns who are fond
of jesting and laughter,
or women lay believers
who are profoundly attached to the five desires
or who seek immediate entry into extinction—
all these they should not associate with.
If there are people
who come with good hearts
to the place of the bodhisattva
in order to hear the buddha way,
then the bodhisattva
with a fearless heart
but without harboring expectations
should preach the Law for them.
But widows and unmarried women
and the different kinds of unmanly men—
all these he should not associate with
or treat with intimacy.
Also he must not associate with
slaughterers or flesh-carvers,
those who hunt animals or catch fish,
or kill or do harm for profit.
Those who peddle meat for a living
or display women and sell their favors—
all people such as this
he should never associate with.
Those engaged in hazardous sports, wrestling,
or other kinds of amusements,
women of lascivious nature—
never associate with any of these.
Never go alone into an enclosed place
to preach the Law to a woman.
When he preaches the Law,
let there be no jesting or laughter.
When he enters a village to beg for food,
he should take another monk with him;
if there is no other monk around,
with a single mind he should concentrate on the Buddha.
These are what I call
proper practices and associations.
By being careful about these two,
they can preach in a peaceful manner.
The instruction is for the mahasattva-bodhisattva to avoid pretty much anyone who might distract them from the path. What Malcolm is doing here is called trolling.

Practice, Practice, Practice

User avatar
Losal Samten
Posts: 1407
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:05 pm

Re: I've been so wrong/pure lands

Post by Losal Samten » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:06 pm

Does the Sanskrit version mention it's talking about mahasattva bodhisattvas?
Lacking mindfulness, we commit every wrong. - Nyoshul Khen Rinpoche
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔
ཨཱོཾ་མ་ཏྲི་མུ་ཡེ་སལེ་འདུ།།

DGA
Former staff member
Posts: 9253
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:04 pm
Contact:

Re: I've been so wrong/pure lands

Post by DGA » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:08 pm

Queequeg wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:01 pm

The instruction is for the mahasattva-bodhisattva to avoid pretty much anyone who might distract them from the path. What Malcolm is doing here is called trolling.
I"m not so sure that Malcolm is distracting anyone from the path as such. He's enthusiastically endorsed the Ekayana teachings. However, he's definitely made some objections to some of the claims of DW members regarding the path. Is that trolling, or discussion?

User avatar
Malcolm
Posts: 27522
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am

Re: I've been so wrong/pure lands

Post by Malcolm » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:12 pm

Minobu wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:34 pm
Malcolm wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:31 pm
pael wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:30 pm

Can one born as man become paṇḍaka in same lifetime?
Sure, if you have your sexual organs removed, come out of the closet, become impotent or sterile, etc.
so pandaka is a generic term for any m,ale that is not hetero sexual?
eunuchs born or dismembered are pandakas as well?

i find this repulsive...the teaching is flawed and i would like to know where you gug this stuff up and why are you teaching it?
There are five kinds of paṇḍakas; intersexed people, impotent men, homosexuals, eunuchs, and men who can only become aroused by watching others engaged in sexual intercourse.

The Lotus Sūtra states, in chapter 14 (chapter 13 in the Sanskrit and Tibetan recensions):

na ca paṇḍakasya dharmaṃ deśayati, na ca tena sārdhaṃ saṃstavaṃ karoti

Do not teach Dharma to paṇḍakas, nor should one associate with them.


It says also:

strīpaṇḍakāśca ye sattvāḥ saṃstavaṃ tairvivarjayet|

Avoid associating with female and paṇḍaka sentient beings.
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔


[A]nything at all that is well spoken is the word of the Buddha.

-- Ārya-adhyāśaya-sañcodana-nāma-mahāyāna-sūtra

The different sūtras in accord with the emptiness
taught by the Sugata are definitive in meaning;
One can understand that all of those Dharmas in
which a sentient being, individual, or person are taught are provisional in meaning.

-- Samadhirāja Sūtra

Post Reply

Return to “Nichiren”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 18 guests