How do we deal with working amongst unprofessional co workers?

Post Reply
bcol01
Posts: 116
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:20 pm

How do we deal with working amongst unprofessional co workers?

Post by bcol01 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:58 am

I am in the process of looking for a decent job while I attend school online to further my education. In my current job, I work around others who are often rude and just plain unprofessional. How can I deal with these types of individuals while maintaining my composure and own sense of professionalism? Thank you.

amanitamusc
Posts: 1364
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:32 am

Re: How do we deal with working amongst unprofessional co workers?

Post by amanitamusc » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:14 am

bcol01 wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:58 am
I am in the process of looking for a decent job while I attend school online to further my education. In my current job, I work around others who are often rude and just plain unprofessional. How can I deal with these types of individuals while maintaining my composure and own sense of professionalism? Thank you.
With obstacles like this it is a great opportunity to develop patience .

narhwal90
Posts: 661
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:10 am

Re: How do we deal with working amongst unprofessional co workers?

Post by narhwal90 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:02 pm

concur, likewise tolerance. A lot depends on what "unprofessional" means. For instance is the conduct just annoying or is it destructive. I have a coworker with quite difficult habits of personality, the grapevine suggests this behavior is not new and unlikely to change. He teaches me to not engage and not allow him to interrupt my conversation in progress with others. I would like to be a better student in that way, staying patient can be challenging but it does occur to me that it must be stressful for him to live in such a manner and he always has to go home with himself.

Marc
Posts: 151
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:40 am

Re: How do we deal with working amongst unprofessional co workers?

Post by Marc » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:41 pm

amanitamusc wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:14 am
bcol01 wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:58 am
I am in the process of looking for a decent job while I attend school online to further my education. In my current job, I work around others who are often rude and just plain unprofessional. How can I deal with these types of individuals while maintaining my composure and own sense of professionalism? Thank you.
With obstacles like this it is a great opportunity to develop patience .
Indeed !
The ability to change our perspective, and stop seeing such situations as "problems" but rather as opportunity to develop qualities is of crucial importance.  (And I don't only mean patient endurance, but also social skills like tact, diplomacy...)

Not easy... But necessary...

On a side note, we should of course be wise & skilful, by not throwing ourselves in situations that are completely beyond our capacities ;)
Life will most probably take provide plenty of those anyhow...

bcol01
Posts: 116
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:20 pm

Re: How do we deal with working amongst unprofessional co workers?

Post by bcol01 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:35 pm

Marc, there is great wisdom in what you've said. Difficult people can be opportunities for us to grow and develop patience and compassion, if we choose to relate to it that way. There is power in that and powerlessness in succumbing to these difficulties. Thank you for your insight. I deeply appreciate it. **Gassho**
Marc wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:41 pm
amanitamusc wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:14 am
bcol01 wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:58 am
I am in the process of looking for a decent job while I attend school online to further my education. In my current job, I work around others who are often rude and just plain unprofessional. How can I deal with these types of individuals while maintaining my composure and own sense of professionalism? Thank you.
With obstacles like this it is a great opportunity to develop patience .
Indeed !
The ability to change our perspective, and stop seeing such situations as "problems" but rather as opportunity to develop qualities is of crucial importance.  (And I don't only mean patient endurance, but also social skills like tact, diplomacy...)

Not easy... But necessary...

On a side note, we should of course be wise & skilful, by not throwing ourselves in situations that are completely beyond our capacities ;)
Life will most probably take provide plenty of those anyhow...

Spiritual_living
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:20 am

Re: How do we deal with working amongst unprofessional co workers?

Post by Spiritual_living » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:26 am

It depends on how much you can put up with. Sometimes in the option is getting another job.

DGA
Former staff member
Posts: 9415
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:04 pm
Contact:

Re: How do we deal with working amongst unprofessional co workers?

Post by DGA » Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:16 pm

bcol01 wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:58 am
I am in the process of looking for a decent job while I attend school online to further my education. In my current job, I work around others who are often rude and just plain unprofessional. How can I deal with these types of individuals while maintaining my composure and own sense of professionalism? Thank you.
Your response will vary according to the kind of rudeness& unprofessionalism that is presented to you. Some of it is illegal (workplace harrassment for example) depending on where you live. Some of it is just something you have to tolerate (like an adult who chews gum, loudly, with mouth open, while trying to hold a conversation in an office environment).

Marc
Posts: 151
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:40 am

Re: How do we deal with working amongst unprofessional co workers?

Post by Marc » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:33 pm

I'm glad these few words could be of some help :namaste:
bcol01 wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:35 pm
Marc, there is great wisdom in what you've said. Difficult people can be opportunities for us to grow and develop patience and compassion, if we choose to relate to it that way. There is power in that and powerlessness in succumbing to these difficulties. Thank you for your insight. I deeply appreciate it. **Gassho**

bcol01
Posts: 116
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:20 pm

Re: How do we deal with working amongst unprofessional co workers?

Post by bcol01 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:54 am

:)
I suppose the other aspect of my situation is that I have this guy I work with and he's not even a manager but yet he constantly feels the need to approach me to either tell me what to do or how something is suppose to be done or just to correct me in some way. He's even called me at home on my personal time with things that could be discussed at work that really aren't even his job. Yikes. How do I stand up to this guy without making an already tense work environment worse?
Marc wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:33 pm
I'm glad these few words could be of some help :namaste:
bcol01 wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:35 pm
Marc, there is great wisdom in what you've said. Difficult people can be opportunities for us to grow and develop patience and compassion, if we choose to relate to it that way. There is power in that and powerlessness in succumbing to these difficulties. Thank you for your insight. I deeply appreciate it. **Gassho**

Marc
Posts: 151
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:40 am

Re: How do we deal with working amongst unprofessional co workers?

Post by Marc » Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:20 pm

Hmmm... This is easier said than done but:  
Whenever he's on your back, correcting you, you have a precious opportunity to see and feel the mechanism of the ego at work:
Tensing & tightening up, defending one's point of view etc...  
You could, (if you remember to !!!), try to simply notice and see clearly those, and try to relax, with patience, goodwill & compassion.
This guy probably has some big insecurity issues to be on your back so much...

OK. As said above: Easier said than done.  

If this is really heavy, disturbing your work you could:
- Try to skillfully tell him than you appreciate "his concern & advices" but that this is a little bit too much for you...
- If he does not cooperate, then you should speak, without making too much fuss, with your common manager to solve the situation.  

Hope this helps.
Cheers
M

bcol01 wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:54 am
:)
I suppose the other aspect of my situation is that I have this guy I work with and he's not even a manager but yet he constantly feels the need to approach me to either tell me what to do or how something is suppose to be done or just to correct me in some way. He's even called me at home on my personal time with things that could be discussed at work that really aren't even his job. Yikes. How do I stand up to this guy without making an already tense work environment worse?
Marc wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:33 pm
I'm glad these few words could be of some help :namaste:
bcol01 wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:35 pm
Marc, there is great wisdom in what you've said. Difficult people can be opportunities for us to grow and develop patience and compassion, if we choose to relate to it that way. There is power in that and powerlessness in succumbing to these difficulties. Thank you for your insight. I deeply appreciate it. **Gassho**

bcol01
Posts: 116
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:20 pm

Re: How do we deal with working amongst unprofessional co workers?

Post by bcol01 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:59 am

Thanks again Marc. So much.
Marc wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:20 pm
Hmmm... This is easier said than done but:  
Whenever he's on your back, correcting you, you have a precious opportunity to see and feel the mechanism of the ego at work:
Tensing & tightening up, defending one's point of view etc...  
You could, (if you remember to !!!), try to simply notice and see clearly those, and try to relax, with patience, goodwill & compassion.
This guy probably has some big insecurity issues to be on your back so much...

OK. As said above: Easier said than done.  

If this is really heavy, disturbing your work you could:
- Try to skillfully tell him than you appreciate "his concern & advices" but that this is a little bit too much for you...
- If he does not cooperate, then you should speak, without making too much fuss, with your common manager to solve the situation.  

Hope this helps.
Cheers
M

bcol01 wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:54 am
:)
I suppose the other aspect of my situation is that I have this guy I work with and he's not even a manager but yet he constantly feels the need to approach me to either tell me what to do or how something is suppose to be done or just to correct me in some way. He's even called me at home on my personal time with things that could be discussed at work that really aren't even his job. Yikes. How do I stand up to this guy without making an already tense work environment worse?
Marc wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:33 pm
I'm glad these few words could be of some help :namaste:


amanitamusc
Posts: 1364
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:32 am

Re: How do we deal with working amongst unprofessional co workers?

Post by amanitamusc » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:05 pm

bcol01 wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:54 am
:)
I suppose the other aspect of my situation is that I have this guy I work with and he's not even a manager but yet he constantly feels the need to approach me to either tell me what to do or how something is suppose to be done or just to correct me in some way. He's even called me at home on my personal time with things that could be discussed at work that really aren't even his job. Yikes. How do I stand up to this guy without making an already tense work environment worse?
Marc wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:33 pm
I'm glad these few words could be of some help :namaste:
bcol01 wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:35 pm
Marc, there is great wisdom in what you've said. Difficult people can be opportunities for us to grow and develop patience and compassion, if we choose to relate to it that way. There is power in that and powerlessness in succumbing to these difficulties. Thank you for your insight. I deeply appreciate it. **Gassho**
Don't bath for a couple of weeks.Make some space.And or.
This person could be hitting on you.To find out do the flirty thing with your eyelashes.
When you find out explain yourself assertively however it goes.

User avatar
Coëmgenu
Posts: 1752
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:35 pm
Location: Whitby, Ontario

Re: How do we deal with working amongst unprofessional co workers?

Post by Coëmgenu » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:08 pm

Not taking a bath can get someone fired. Similarly, overly flirtatious behaviour can be sexual harassment.

So funny ideas, but not maybe ones that out to be enacted, especially in a professional environment.
नस्वातो नापिपरतो नद्वाभ्यां नाप्यहेतुतः उत्पन्ना जातु विद्यन्ते भावाः क्वचन केचन
There absolutely are no things, nowhere and none, that arise anew, neither out of themselves, nor out of non-self, nor out of both, nor at random.
सर्वं तथ्यं न वा तथ्यं तथ्यं चातथ्यम् एव च नैवातथ्यं नैव तथ्यम् एतद् बुद्धानुशासनम्
All is so, or all is not so, both so and not so, neither so nor not so. This is the Buddha's teaching.

一切實非實亦實亦非實
非實非非實是名諸佛法

amanitamusc
Posts: 1364
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:32 am

Re: How do we deal with working amongst unprofessional co workers?

Post by amanitamusc » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:11 pm

Coëmgenu wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:08 pm
Not taking a bath can get someone fired. Similarly, overly flirtatious behaviour can be sexual harassment.

So funny ideas, but not maybe ones that out to be enacted, especially in a professional environment.

I was just adding some silliness into a serious but not life threatening situation.
:woohoo:

Post Reply

Return to “Nichiren”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: mechashivaz, narhwal90 and 23 guests