If an evil parent causes us to betray or become distracted from our faith, is detaching ourselves the best option?

bcol01

If an evil parent causes us to betray or become distracted from our faith, is detaching ourselves the best option?

Post by bcol01 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:13 pm

Would love to hear your thoughts on narcissistic parents influencing us negatively and if putting distance between them is sometimes the only option.

Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Re: If an evil parent causes us to betray or become distracted from our faith, is detaching ourselves the best option?

Post by Johnny Dangerous » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:48 pm

bcol01 wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:13 pm
Would love to hear your thoughts on narcissistic parents influencing us negatively and if putting distance between them is sometimes the only option.

If it's messing up your practice or severely messing you up..then yeah. If you can work with it and transform to something positive, then no.
Healthy boundaries are not a bad thing.
That's my take.
His welcoming
& rebelling are scattered,
gone to their end,
do not exist.
Knowing the dustless, sorrowless state,
he discerns rightly,
has gone, beyond becoming,
to the Further Shore.

-Lokavipatti Sutta

smcj

Re: If an evil parent causes us to betray or become distracted from our faith, is detaching ourselves the best option?

Post by smcj » Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:36 am

How old are you? If you’re still under your parent’s care that’s one scenario. If you’re an adult that’s completely different.
1. No traditional Buddhist sect, Tibetan or otherwise, considers deities to be fictional. (DW post/Seeker242)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against Lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post/by ?)
4. Shentong] is the completely pure system that,
Through mainly teaching the luminous aspect of the mind, holds that the fruitions--kayas and wisdoms--exist on their own accord. (Karmapa XIII)

bcol01

Post by bcol01 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:52 am

I'm an adult, have lived on my own for quite some time.
smcj wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:36 am
How old are you? If you’re still under your parent’s care that’s one scenario. If you’re an adult that’s completely different.

edgar_d

Post by edgar_d » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:35 am

Evil is a strong word, much overused. Maybe your parents are human beings just like you and me, who suffer and long for happiness, who make try to do the right thing and make mistakes?

I don't think the Buddha taught that people were evil, just ignorant and deluded.

smcj

Post by smcj » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:58 am

If you’re an adult you can set healthy boundaries an live your life as you please. If you can do that and continue to show appreciation and respect that is best.
1. No traditional Buddhist sect, Tibetan or otherwise, considers deities to be fictional. (DW post/Seeker242)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against Lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post/by ?)
4. Shentong] is the completely pure system that,
Through mainly teaching the luminous aspect of the mind, holds that the fruitions--kayas and wisdoms--exist on their own accord. (Karmapa XIII)

KathyLauren

Post by KathyLauren » Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:16 pm

"Evil" is indeed a strong and over-used word. There are a few people who truly are evil: those who intentionally cause suffering. But there are also many very unskillful people who want to do good, but who cause suffering out of ignorance or incompetence.

I know quite a few people whose parents fall into one of those categories. For many of them, their mental health, even their survival in some cases, depends on distancing themselves from their parents. It is regrettable, but necessary.

In all cases, we should view those people with compassion, even if we are not able to interact directly with them.

Om mani padme hum
Kathy

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Post by Queequeg » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:28 pm

bcol01 wrote:
Maybe strive to see yourself and your parent for what you both really are. Might neutralize many of the concerns you presently have. The hard part is seeing past oneself... that's why we practice.
Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Lotus Sutra, Expedient Means Chapter

There are beings with little dust in their eyes who are falling away because they do not hear the Dhamma. There will be those who will understand the Dhamma.
-Ayacana Sutta

Yavana

Post by Yavana » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:42 pm

Queequeg wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:28 pm
Maybe strive to see yourself and your parent for what you both really are.
Which is?

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Post by Queequeg » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:15 pm

I deeply respect you. I dare not belittle you. Why is this? Because all of you practice the bodhisattva path, and will become buddhas.
🙏
Entered a stupa compound

There are beings with little dust in their eyes who are falling away because they do not hear the Dhamma. There will be those who will understand the Dhamma.
-Ayacana Sutta

Yavana

Post by Yavana » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:27 pm

Queequeg wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:15 pm
I deeply respect you. I dare not belittle you. Why is this? Because all of you practice the bodhisattva path, and will become buddhas.
🙏
A backhanded blessing, Q.

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Post by Queequeg » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:45 pm

Not sure what you mean.
Entered a stupa compound

-Ayacana Sutta

dude

Post by dude » Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:59 am

bcol01 wrote:
There are indeed times when only distance can really untangle you.
Parents are your karma, and it's even predicted in the sutras that one's parents at times present an obstacle to practice.
All the suffering is a result of causes made in the past.
You can change your karma. Your obstacles are all future treasures.

bcol01

Post by bcol01 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:34 am

When you say that my obstacles are all future treasures, what do you mean by that?
dude wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:59 am
bcol01 wrote:
Parents are your karma, and it's even predicted in the sutras that one's parents at times present an obstacle to practice.

dude

Post by dude » Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:45 am

bcol01 wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:34 am
When you say that my obstacles are all future treasures, what do you mean by that?
dude wrote:
bcol01 wrote:
What I mean is that you will one day look back with great satisfaction thinking about how much you grew in power and gained good karma by challenging big obstacles

I've been thinking about you a lot since I last posted. I had been a member for a year or two when I realized I would always get depressed and self destructive after being around my parents. For a time I stopped contact completely and learned something about who I am and why I should respect my life.

It's kind of inevitable when practicing Buddhism that one will be opposed at times by various authority figures, such as parents, government officials, and/or others.

Nichiren states in the "Letter to the Brothers" :
In order to expiate the sin of your past slanders, you are opposed by your parents, who hold mistaken views, and must live in the age of a ruler who persecutes the votary of the Lotus Sutra. The sutra makes this absolutely clear. Never doubt that you slandered the correct teaching in the past. If you have doubt about this, you will be unable to withstand the minor sufferings of this life.

Attack your karma with enthusiasm. You will come to enjoy the struggle. This practice is difficult, but its power is absolute.

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Post by Queequeg » Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:22 pm

Bcol, Dude here brings up some excellent points.

Check out Nichiren's letters to people like this "Letter to Brothers" and letters to Shijo Kingo. These guys were facing all kinds of opposition and persecution, right up to assassination threats, from family, close associates, superiors, the government, etc. He counsels them to be strong, steadfast, deliberate, careful.
Entered a stupa compound

-Ayacana Sutta

bcol01

Post by bcol01 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:07 pm

Ty I appreciate your compassionate concern and your advice.
dude wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:45 am
bcol01 wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:34 am
dude wrote:

What I mean is that you will one day look back with great satisfaction thinking about how much you grew in power and gained good karma by challenging big obstacles

I've been thinking about you a lot since I last posted. I had been a member for a year or two when I realized I would always get depressed and self destructive after being around my parents. For a time I stopped contact completely and learned something about who I am and why I should respect my life.

It's kind of inevitable when practicing Buddhism that one will be opposed at times by various authority figures, such as parents, government officials, and/or others.

Nichiren states in the "Letter to the Brothers" :
In order to expiate the sin of your past slanders, you are opposed by your parents, who hold mistaken views, and must live in the age of a ruler who persecutes the votary of the Lotus Sutra. The sutra makes this absolutely clear. Never doubt that you slandered the correct teaching in the past. If you have doubt about this, you will be unable to withstand the minor sufferings of this life.

Attack your karma with enthusiasm. You will come to enjoy the struggle. This practice is difficult, but its power is absolute.

bcol01

Post by bcol01 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:08 pm

Will do! Ty my friend. :sage:
Queequeg wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:22 pm
Bcol, Dude here brings up some excellent points.

Check out Nichiren's letters to people like this "Letter to Brothers" and letters to Shijo Kingo. These guys were facing all kinds of opposition and persecution, right up to assassination threats, from family, close associates, superiors, the government, etc. He counsels them to be strong, steadfast, deliberate, careful.

Return to “Nichiren”