Om Ma Tri Mu Ye Sa Le Du

Discussion of the fifth religious tradition of Tibet.
kalden yungdrung

Om Ma Tri Mu Ye Sa Le Du

Post by kalden yungdrung »

Tashi delek,

Om Ma tri Mu Ye Sa Le Du is the Mantra of Compassion within the Tibetan Bon Tradition.
Om Mani Peme Hung is the Mantra of Compassion within the Tibetan Dorje Thekpa Traditions

Mutsog Marro
KY

Om Matri mu ye sa le du.jpg
Om Matri mu ye sa le du.jpg (29.53 KiB) Viewed 28063 times
Of the 3 kayas, it represents the Sambhogakaya, or subtle form body of the Buddha. There are 8 seed syllables within the mantra.

OM
represents Tonpa Shenrab, the founder of Bön.

There are 5 parts to the Bonpo OM, along with 5 related symbolisms:

- The central white A represents the wisdom of emptiness and the embodiment of the dharmakaya.
- The naro (yellow gull-like figure) represents the mirror-like wisdom and the embodiment of the sambhogakaya.
- The red crescent moon symbol represents the discriminating wisdom and the embodiment of the nirmanakaya.
- The green round symbol at the top represents the wisdom of equanimity and the essential embodiment.
- The little blue AH below the main A represents the all-accomplishing wisdom and the ultimate embodiment.

Each part of the OM is drawn in one of the colors that represent the 5 elements. In its totality, the OM represents the 5 universal qualities. In Buddhism and Hinduism the syllable OM is used, but it is not drawn with all five parts, nor is it understood to have this meaning.

The red MA
represents Sherap Chamma, the loving mother who is the counterpart to Tonpa Shenrab. MA also symbolizes clarity, and OM emptiness. Or OM can represent method and MA wisdom. From the union of these 2 seeds emanate the guide Buddhas of the 6 realms of existence, which follow as the next 6 seed syllables of the mantra:

TRI
represents Mucho Demdrug, the guide Buddha of the hell realm that is associated with the color indigo. Anger and causing harm to others leads to rebirth or experience of the hell realms. Mucho Demdrug brings us the antidote of complete and unconditional love.

MU
represents Sangva Nangring, the guide Buddha of the hungry ghost realm. The primary cause of rebirth in the hungry ghost realm is greed, or lack of generosity to those who are in much greater need than oneself, or stinginess towards the dharma. It is said that the body if of a hungry ghost has a mouth the size of a seed, a throat the width of a hair, a stomach the size of the ocean, and legs like blades of grass. These beings have enormous need, but are unable to satiate their endless desires. This image should be understood as a metaphor of the way we relate to our own existence. Sangva Nangring offers the antidote of total generosity.

YE
is related to Tisang Rangzhi, the guide Buddha of the animal realm and the color green. The primary cause to be born in the animal realm is said to be ignorance. The suffering of animals is related to their inability to verbally communicate. Tisang Rangzhi brings the antidote of self-arising wisdom.

SA
represents Dagin Donpung, the guide Buddha of the human realm, and is related to the color yellow. It is said that the primary cause to be born in the human realm is jealousy. Jealousy can be related to wealth, clothing, or relationship, but at its core is the inability to accept what other people enjoy. Dagin Donpung brings the antidote of complete openness.

The blue LE
represents Chegyal Parti, the guide Buddha of the demi-god realm. The primary cause to be born in this realm of strife is pride. This can be pride of what you have, or pride in not having a quality or object. The main suffering of this realm is continual war, but through Chegyal Parti the antidote of peacefulness may relieve that suffering.

The white DU
represents Yeshen Tshugphud, the guide Buddha of the god realm. The god realm can also be said to be associated with pride. Legend has it that there is a great tree that has its roots in the demi-god realm, but the fruits of the tree fall in the god realm. The demi-gods are constantly challenging the gods to war in order to gain the fruits of this wonderful tree. But the demi-gods always lose the battle, for the gods are quite difficult to kill. Yeshen Tshugphud brings the antidote of absolute compassion.

Seen in this light, and understanding these meanings, reciting this mantra is a way of helping all the beings of the 6 realms of existence. Reciting this mantra invokes the guide Buddhas of the 6 realms and their sources, Tonpa Shenrab and Sherap Chamma. Through their enlightened power, our negative emotions are dissolved and all the positive, pure, and virtuous qualities of love, generosity, wisdom, openness, peacefulness, and compassion are invoked in us. Reciting this mantra helps us to connect with and reinforce those qualities within ourselves. It is not necessary to know all the legends of the various realms to gain benefit from this great mantra, but it is important to make a connection within ourselves to the virtuous qualities held by these seed syllables and come to embody those qualities.
The best meditation is no meditation
kalden yungdrung

Re: Om Ma Tri Mu Ye Sa Le Du

14522904_10205434274496428_3120302242948742027_n.jpg
14522904_10205434274496428_3120302242948742027_n.jpg (105.42 KiB) Viewed 23940 times

Om Ma Tri Mu Ye Sa Le Du
kalden yungdrung

PRAYER TO TÖNPA SHENRAB
Composed by Dranpa Namkha

drenpa namkha.jpg
drenpa namkha.jpg (326.9 KiB) Viewed 23907 times

TÖN PAI GYAL PO KHORWA DREN PAI PAL
King of teachers, glorious guide for Samsara

MUN PAI TSOG NAM JOM DZAD DRON MAI OD
Light of lamp which vanquishes the masses of darkness

MA RIG NAD DUN SEL WA MAN PAI TSO
Chief among physicians, who remove the torments of illness and ignorance

MI YI CHOG TU GYUR PA MU YI GYAL
The king of the Mu clan, superior among man

DUG NGAI DAM DANG TSO KEM ME CHEN PUNG
A mass of great flames that dries up the lakes and swamps of the 5 poisons

TSAN DANG PE JYAD DAN PAI ZI PHAG PO
Exalted in splendour, having all the marks and characteristics [of enlightenment]

KA WA NA TSOK DANG DU LANG NAY NI
Having willingly accepted various difficulties

DZAD PA NA TSOG THA RU CHYIN DZAD CHING
You bring about the ultimate realization of various deeds

ZIG TSAD ZHI DANG GONG TSAD DRUG NYI KYI
By means of the 4 full measures of seeing (our world) and the 6 full measures of your intention (to incarnate here)

JAM PA CHEN PO KHOR WA DROL DZAD PAI
You bring about the liberation of all beings from samsara with your great love

SHEN RAB TRUL PAI KU LA CHYAG TSAL LO
I pay homage to Shenrab, the Nirmanakaya!
kalden yungdrung

IN ADDITION:

Tirthan

Post by Tirthan »

I am sorry, I can´t help it:
I would bet that
in AUM,
red crescent moon is for Sambhogakaya
and
yellow naro is for Nirmanakaya.

Sure that you don´t have a typo there?
(I am not an expert in Bönpo at all.)
Lindama

Post by Lindama »

This mantra has always stayed with me. For me, it's power is in the visualization:

OM and MA in Yab yum with the 6 realms encircling and circling (moving) around them. As far as I know, it's one of three heart mantras in Bon. My good fortune was a daylong teaching on this mantra with a monk from Menri monastary.
Not last night,
not this morning,
melon flowers bloomed.
~ Bassho
kalden yungdrung

Tirthan wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:33 pm I am sorry, I can´t help it:
I would bet that
in AUM,
and

Tashi delek T,

Thanks for the reply / remark.

Yes both yellow and red also have to move / change.
See, the crescent is yellow and not red.

KY.
Tirthan

Post by Tirthan »

kalden yungdrung wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:51 am
Tirthan wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:33 pm I am sorry, I can´t help it:
I would bet that
in AUM,
and

Tashi delek T,

Thanks for the reply / remark.

Yes both yellow and red also have to move / change.
See, the crescent is yellow and not red.

KY.
Hi Kalden-Yungdrung,

I must admit that I have just discovered that I was ´a little´ confused, too (perhaps due to not being English-native-speaker). :oops:
Actually, I still am - let´s make it very clear, please, if possible:

I suppose it being like this: THE PICTURE IS CORRECT.
Then, the red part which off-course is for "O" -not crescent- (perhaps they call it ´naro´?)
is for Sambhogakaya (NOT Nirmanakaya) and for ¿dicriminative? wisdom.
The yellow ´crescent´ is for Nirmanakaya and for ¿mirror-like? wisdom.

I consider this post of yours even exceptionally useful :namaste:
but only as-long-as it is correct.
(I really believe, generally, that should I publish something incorrect, I had better not to publish anything
so that people would instead learn something from other -hopefully correct- sources which there are plenty available throughout internet.)
kalden yungdrung

Om Matri mu ye sa le du.jpg (29.53 KiB) Viewed 23127 times
The central white A represents the wisdom of emptiness and the embodiment of the dharmakaya.
- The naro (yellow gull-like figure) represents the mirror-like wisdom and the embodiment of the sambhogakaya.
Should be yellow crescent + Sambhogakaya

- The red crescent = naro, moon symbol represents the discriminating wisdom and the embodiment of the nirmanakaya.
Should be red Naro + Nirmanakaya

But i am not sure because A Om Hung is in Bön used for Nirmana- Sambhoga- and Dharmakaya, instead of Om A Hung.
So maybe in this letter there is also a difference possible.
Tirthan

Post by Tirthan »

kalden yungdrung wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:29 pm
The central white A represents the wisdom of emptiness and the embodiment of the dharmakaya.

- The red crescent = naro, moon symbol represents the discriminating wisdom and the embodiment of the nirmanakaya.

But i am not sure because A Om Hung is in Bön used for Nirmana- Sambhoga- and Dharmakaya, instead of Om A Hung.
I beg your pardon
but still not very clear, to me al least: :yinyang: :yinyang: :yinyang:

So you mean, the picture seems to be incorrect?
This is confusing, isn´t it?
(I suppose, then, perhaps, yellow naro ~ Sambhogakaya.)
The red crescent = naro, moon symbol represents the discriminating wisdom and the embodiment of the nirmanakaya.
(I suppose, then, perhaps, red crescent ~ Nirmanakaya.)

(Then, wisdoms-correspondence, let's please postpone it for later perhaps.)
I actually "feel" that the order it 'dissolves' should be like Dharmakaya->Sambhogakya->Nirmanakaya
("regardless" colours) so it 'should' be 'painted' in this order, if you understand what I mean.
:cheers:
kalden yungdrung

Tirthan wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:14 pm
kalden yungdrung wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:29 pm Om Matri mu ye sa le du.jpg

I beg your pardon
but still not very clear, to me al least: :yinyang: :yinyang: :yinyang:

So you mean, the picture seems to be incorrect?
(I suppose, then, perhaps, yellow naro ~ Sambhogakaya.)
The red crescent = naro, moon symbol represents the discriminating wisdom and the embodiment of the nirmanakaya.
(I suppose, then, perhaps, red crescent ~ Nirmanakaya.)

(Then, wisdoms-correspondence, let's please postpone it for later perhaps.)
I actually "feel" that the order it 'dissolves' should be like Dharmakaya->Sambhogakya->Nirmanakaya
("regardless" colours) so it 'should' be 'painted' in this order, if you understand what I mean.
:cheers:
Agree it should be Dharmakaya / Sambhogakaya and then Nirmanakaya.
Colours etc. can be different used maybe etc.
Tolya M

Post by Tolya M »

Oh, Lantsa script! :mrgreen: I used to think it was not feature of Bon )
Attachments
Aaong - lantsa.jpg
Aaong - lantsa.jpg (58.8 KiB) Viewed 23077 times
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

The things about the Three Bodies correspondence has always confused me, it seems like in Bön the head/AH is Dharmakaya, but I have never gotten a definitive answer...it would be cool if someone had a definitive source on the question here.

On a related note:

Cut and pasting articles is fine, but they should be attributed to the author/translator etc. If the Author is a figure like Drenpa Namkha, Padmasabhava etc., and you are posting pages worth of their words, it would be nice to know the actual source, translation etc.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
kalden yungdrung

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:49 pm The things about the Three Bodies correspondence has always confused me, it seems like in Bön the head/AH is Dharmakaya, but I have never gotten a definitive answer...it would be cool if someone had a definitive source on the question here.
Tashi delek JD,

In Bön Lama Näldjor, we have the Syllables A white / Red Om / Blue Hum.
These are the Body , Speech and Mind of the Guru which correspondent with he Guru´s forehead, neck and chest and ours.

if one is doing practice to the 24 ZZNG Gurus, one is doing it with each of them as a separate Guru Yoga, before one starts the practice of Awareness.

So Dharmakaya represents in Bön Hum then Sambhogakaya with Om and Nirmanakaya with A

Mutsuk Marro
KY
kalden yungdrung

IN ADDITION.

Tashi delek,

Below a very precious contribution from Dzog Jomo, about the meaning of the Great Bön Matri Mantra.
This is of course a better and more complete explanation than above mentioned.

Many thanks for sharing this with us !

Source:
BCWC alumni association

Mutsuk Marro
KY.

==============================
MATRI THanka - 00-1.jpg
MATRI THanka - 00-1.jpg (107 KiB) Viewed 21275 times
Last edited by kalden yungdrung on Sun May 27, 2018 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kalden yungdrung

By:

Dzog Jomo
Meaning of Matri Mantra - 00 -2 - 2.jpg
Meaning of Matri Mantra - 00 -2 - 2.jpg (89.25 KiB) Viewed 21275 times
kalden yungdrung

By:
Dzog Jomo
Sylable 0- 0 -0.jpg
Sylable 0- 0 -0.jpg (123.67 KiB) Viewed 21274 times
kalden yungdrung

By:
Dzog Jomo
Sylable 1- 01 -1.jpg
Sylable 1- 01 -1.jpg (51.64 KiB) Viewed 21274 times
kalden yungdrung

By:
Dzog Jomo
Sylable 2- 02 - 2.jpg
Sylable 2- 02 - 2.jpg (38.08 KiB) Viewed 21274 times
kalden yungdrung

By:
Dzog Jomo.

The syllable just below the main syllable is the seed syllable for the elements. ཨ:space, ཡཾ: wind, རཾ: fire, མཾ, water, ཁཾ: earth, བྲུཾ: the jewels
Sylable 3- 03 - 3.jpg
Sylable 3- 03 - 3.jpg (98.98 KiB) Viewed 21273 times
Last edited by kalden yungdrung on Sun May 27, 2018 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Bön”